Loading

Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

About Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Martin Luther King, Jr. fought for equal civil rights for African Americans. Each year, on the 3rd Monday of January, we celebrate his life and his dream. The day was made a national holiday in 1986. Martin Luther King, Jr. was born on January 15, 1929 in Atlanta, Georgia. He was a minister who participated in many peaceful demonstrations in regard to unfair treatment of African Americans. He is famous for his meaningful speech "I Have a Dream." He won the Nobel Peace prize in 1964.
Martin Luther King was assassinated on April 4, 1968 in Memphis, Tennessee.

Dr. King was not only concerned with the civil rights movement for black American, he was also concerned about moral justice for all American. At the time he was killed he was in the planning process of a "poor mans march" on Washington.  Many reports tell us that Dr. King was exhausted the night of April 3, 1968.  He conceded to address an audience at the Bishop Charles Mason Temple Church of God on that night.   To this day his final climactic words spoken that night are heartfelt and beautiful. this is an excerpt from Dr. Kings "Promise Land" sermon:   "Like anybody, I would like to live a long life," he said. "Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land!"
Dr. King was assassinated the next day.  He was only 39 years old.  He is remembered today as a man for all people, for all to have equality and for all to obtain and live in moral justice. He was a great American, for all Americans and it is my hope that we will teach his teachings and repeat his words of wisdom for many many years to come.

Visit the King Center for additional information - http://www.thekingcenter.org/Default.aspx

Also, there is a 11 minute video showing his "I have a Dream" speech - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEMXaTktUfA

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Event Calendar