Shrunken Apple Heads
These shrunken heads, made from peeled, carved, and dried apples, are as spooky as the scariest Halloween masks -- and just as much fun to create. Martha transforms a Granny Smith apple into a truly frightening fruit; although any variety of apple will work, Granny Smiths are ideal for this project because of their round shape.
- Firm, unbruised apple, preferably Granny Smith
- Marker or pencil
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Stick or branch
Shrunken Apple Head How-To
1. Peel and core the apple.
2. Using a pencil or marker, draw facial features, including eyes, a nose, and a mouth, on the apple; be sure to draw the features large enough so they won't vanish when the apple shrinks.
3. Using the outlines as your guide, carve the apple to resemble a skull.
4. Combine lemon juice and salt in bowl. Soak the apple for 30 seconds. Pat dry.
5. Set the apple in a warm, dry spot; after several days, the apple will shrink, and the features will distort.
6. Insert a stick or branch into the bottom of the head and place it in a vase.
Shrunken Apple Head Punch
6 cups cups pasteurized apple cider
1 frozen lemonade, concentrate, thawed
Ice cubes, optional
In punch bowl, combine apple cider, undiluted lemonade concentrate, and ice cubes (if using). Float apple heads in punch. Serves 12